Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Staghorn Cholla watercolor start

staghorn cholla start

This painting is based on a photo I took on our drive up the Apache Trail on April 27th.  One of the pull=off areas had a path that led upwards to what turned out to be great place to view Apache Lake and the amazing vegetation of the Arizona Uplands from.  This Staghorn Cholla was beside the path and I still can’t believe how beautiful it’s blossoms were.  They looked a bit like roses but MORE beautiful because of their unexpectedness.

I’ll finish this one off with a bit more definition of the flower petals and not much more…  I need to retain the freshness and light that I’ve got so far.  The challenge for me seems to be knowing when to stop.  So, I’m going to force myself to stop more often and take stock of where I’m at.  Wish me luck with that…  cheers!

Retweet this

No comments: