Saturday, August 16, 2008

About being an Unseen Artist...

Yesterday was the opening for the Unseen Art Show. Tonight I'm sharing a few observations about this experience. Participating in this show has been a real eye opener for me. I learned so much about the business side of art. It's quite a process. Prior to this experience, I've never offered any of my art for sale. In fact (this is embarrassing) I didn't realize that there was a sales component to entering an art exhibit like this one. I realize that is very naive of me but, there it is. When I was told that I needed to provide prices for my pieces I realized I was in for a new experience. Settling on a pricing strategy that I can live with going forward took a bit of research and some advice from knowledgeable friends - you know who you are... thanks!

Further, I learned a great deal about framing art and the costs of doing it at home (Ron's future hobby ;) vs outsourcing it. Among other things, I had a lesson in linen hinging and discovered that many artists simply use acid free double-sided tape to attach their art to the backing board. Who knew?

Another observation, a critical one for me, is that it takes quite a bit of time. Since my "art time" is limited by my health I need to make conscious decisions about how I spend that time. Although I understand the learning curve is steep and I'm past a bit of that now, each art exhibit involves application, framing, delivery, showing up for the opening, picking up art at the end, etc. Many of the activities that I began during preparation for this show will become second nature (stretching watercolors as I complete them, framing immediately, archival photography, etc) and eventually entering a show will as well. The issue is this - promoting my art takes time away from painting my art. I'm going to have to consider if there are other ways to sell art more suitable to my needs - Internet sales, clothesline sales, or other new approaches... maybe I'll dream up something on my own. Any ideas?

Don't get me wrong... I am SO glad I have this opportunity to show my art in public! It's something that I never dreamed I would have the opportunity to do when I began painting 3 years ago. AND... I will do it again. To make future shows easier I will incorporate some habits into my art routine and that will make those opportunities easier to manage.

And lastly... NO HEELS ON CONCRETE! PERIOD.... never going to happen again folks! Retweet this

No comments: