Friday, September 12, 2008

Policeman's Helmets (7"x10")

I've been searching for information on the tall plants with orchid like flowers that my neighbor Michelle gave me in the spring. I just found a very good photo of them on the UBC botanical garden site. It turns out that they are Impatiens glandulifera, or "policeman's helmet". In the UK they re known as Himalayan Balsam. None of these handles does this plant justice. Michelle called them "popcorn orchid" which is obviously not correct. They are apparently a weedy infestation from Asia!

Meanwhile, I am enjoying their blooms. Don't confuse me with the facts, I've already made up my mind... However, I will certainly be careful with the seed pods - apparently they spread like mad!

I think they look good in my little greenish glass bottle with some red ruffled... somethings... from my flower beds. I thought these deep red flowers were bachelor buttons but I'm not sure anymore. Regardless, they're pretty and they caused some neat shadows...

Maybe you're wondering why I keep painting this little green bottle and now I've totally lost it by putting an EGG of all things into the mix? I've just not been satisfied with my bottles - this one is more like it. It actually looks like glass! I really enjoy the shadows cast by transparent and semi-transparent items. It's fun and challenging to focus on what I'm seeing and try to get beyond what I think I'm seeing. Painting glass, especially clear glass, forces me to SEE shapes and patterns. As for the egg, you can never paint too many eggs. They're just good practice and besides that, they're fun! Have a great weekend! Retweet this

1 comment:

David Ashcraft said...

Hi Cheryl,

I EspeciallY like the glass vase on this one * superbly done~ oh, and the shadows~ wow.

from over the rainbow,
zoe