Wednesday, September 10, 2008

White Tea Pot (7"x10")

I like how the shadows turned out in this still life. The light is shining though the little glass bottle and it makes such a soft shadow on the drapery behind. The shadow of the flower is very delicate too - darker in the middle and on the edges and light shining through the thin flower. Very pretty.
I'd wanted a white teapot for painting and, lo and behold, one turned up for my birthday last April (thanks much). I expect to be painting this white teapot for years to come. It's amazing to me how dark "white" items are when the lighting is controlled. They make very pretty still life subjects. Hope you like it! Retweet this

2 comments:

Sharon Lynn Williams Fine Art said...

Boy Cheryl, the work you have put into your watercolours this summer is REALLY paying off! I hope that the other students are following your progress and are inspired by it to do likewise! I just love the last two entries of still life. There is no substitute for seeing the real thing when painting compared to painting from a photo. Can you see it yourself? I will turn you into a plein addict yet!
Sharon

Unknown said...

Cheryl, your whites are great! I think whites are so difficult, but you have really pulled this off. And the shadows are intriguing. My eye keeps going back to look at the shadows some more.