Sunday, May 31, 2009

Hello from Colorado!

Hi all... just a very quick update to let you know I'm still in Colorado visiting. We went out to Canon City and then by train to Royal Gorge today and we all enjoyed it very much. Although I haven't been painting I've gathered lots more painting material and spent time visiting in a few local galleries - there are LOTS. I'm looking forward to getting started painting again in a few days. Meanwhile, I'm catching up on my sleep and staying with Ron at the Westside Bungalows in Old Colorado City near Manitou Springs. Here's one of my favourite shots for my photo reference file on this trip...
Here's an interesting fact - some of the cars on this train were previously owned by VIA Rail... It makes sense when I think about it - they couldn't scrap them all, right? Kalista and I made a trek forward in the train and when I looked up after manuevering one of the halls, I was face to face with a little metal plaque that read "Transport Canada - this service subsidized by the Government of Canada". Sadly, that is likely a true statement... I doubt the feds got top dollar for these lovely old cars back in the day when VIA was downsized so drastically, so quickly. Ron and I were reminiscing about several trips we took on VIA. When I was 15 I travelled from Saskatoon to Montreal and we took 2 train trips with our little family - one from Regina to Saskatoon and one from Regina to Salmon Arm. Travelling "via" rail is a great way to go... so relaxing compared to jetting here and there. Enjoy your week! Retweet this

No comments: