Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Altered Book Spread - Reed

reed pageI have always thought reeds and marsh grasses very beautiful.  When I decided to use “reeds” for one of Sharon’s “4 Letter Words” I didn’t give the meaning much thought at first.  But, Matthew 12:20 holds special meaning for me:  “A bruised reed He will not break”. I decided to incorporate the scripture into the spread.  I used several layers of paint, collaged the words on and partially obscured them – a symbol of their hidden meaning and parable.  Lastly, I rolled black ink onto my reed stamp and stamped it across the bottom of the second page. 

Reeds were [and continue to be] used to make a variety of things ranging from musical instruments to baskets.  Reeds are very strong unless they have been bruised.  Typically, a workman that finds a bruised reed throws it aside as useless.  I find comfort in God’s enduring patience and steadfast belief in my usefulness.  He is my hope and He will not throw me aside.  How awesome is that?

Retweet this

No comments: