Friday, July 1, 2011

Beginning with the ending…

oranges-bowl-and-knife

I’ve just arrived home from a week long Carol Marine workshop and, although my lodgings were superb [ty Conrad & Teresa], I can truly say I am happy to be home, sweet home!  I’ve neglected my blogging this week due to shortage of time & energy but I’ve painted lots, and I’ve learned even more! 

Tomorrow I’ll begin a day by day recap of the workshop highlights with photos of my work, but today I want to share what happens at the end of Carol’s workshops.  Over the course of the week, Carol painted five 6”x6” paintings during “demos”.  These are made available to student to purchase for a modest price if you’re lucky.  This morning we had a draw to see which students would be selecting a painting to buy, and in which order.  My name was drawn second.  I really wanted Carol’s painting of orange slices, a knife and a little bowl of mine [as yet unnamed].  But, another student’s name was drawn first and she selected this one.  Later, she had a change of heart and we traded – thanks Margreet! 

I love everything about this little painting – the oranges just glow against that blue background and the brush strokes are lively & free.  I find Carol’s style engages me in a way that hyper-realism doesn’t.  As a viewer, I have a role in this painting…  a connection. My eye moves around in the painting noticing the colors and shapes, confirming the story.  The connection is also stronger because I enjoyed watching her paint it!  Throughout the week Carol came by to help me with my painting and every project she commented that the highlights needed to be smaller…  I’ll remember that every time I look at this painting – the dark shape says “knife” with just those small lights on the handle!  Carol with me and my painting!!!

Two very, very tired ladies today… and now to bed!  Cheers!

Retweet this

2 comments:

Diary of a Madd Weekly Painter said...

You are a lucky lady and I'm so envious.! BUT happy for you. I recently discovered your blog , subscribed and enjoy your posts. Some day , One day, I hope to take a class from Mrs. Marine.
Happy 4th.

Cheryl Quist said...

Nice to meet you Sue! Thanks for subscribing. Carol's workshop was wonderful - I hope you get to take it. Cheers!